We are a pair of volunteer campaigners based in Kirklees and putting our personal activism under the ‘umbrella’ of ‘Kirklees Campaign Against Climate Change’.
We don’t identify ourselves solely with any single national organisation, but have actively supported the climate-related campaigns and initiatives of a range of national organisations, including 350.org, Campaign Against Climate Change, Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, People and Planet, Stop Climate Chaos and Global Justice Now (formerly World Development Movement).
Our priorities are to pursue personal activism and to provide others with opportunities to engage with climate change issues through discussion and action.
We work as a pair to plan campaigns, then invite people in our network and beyond to join us for the range of actions and events we independently deliver.
In addition to this, as our priorities and capacity allow, we sometimes collaborate with like-minded local groups and individuals on actions and projects.
Our activities include running stalls, stunts and vigils, organising lobbies of MPs, running workshops and facilitating connections between other local groups and individuals with interests in the environment and society.
Through our work we:
- Improve understanding of the latest climate science and raise awareness of the catastrophic impacts of climate change on the planet and people.
- Oppose the expansion of fossil fuel use including ‘extreme energy’ as well as policies and projects that lock us into a high-carbon future.
- Call for the rapid development of the Green Economy (including renewable energy, energy efficiency measures and public transport) to meet the challenge of the climate crisis and to initiate sustainable economic renewal.
- Raise awareness of the climate impacts of land use change including those driven by false solutions to the climate crisis (such as the use of biofuels or the conversion of coal power stations into biomass power stations).
- Call for urgent, fair and legally-binding international and national co-ordinated action to achieve the required emissions cuts and provide climate finance for the world’s poor.
Please note, we are not in any way connected to, or funded by, Kirklees Council.
Donations are always welcome.