UPDATED 27/10/16 – Jason McCartney MP : “I have now written to the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and I will be in touch when I have a reply.” UPDATED 28/11/16 21 11 16 Response from BEIS
On 21st October, shortly after the ‘Speak Up Week of Action’, we met Colne Valley MP Jason McCartney.
The Speak Up Week of Action took place between 8-16 October and was organised by the Climate Coalition, representing over 100 organisations as diverse as Islamic Relief, the RSPB and the Women’s Institute.
We wanted to talk to Jason McCartney about the Nature and Clean Energy Walk that took place on 8th October and to ask if he would support the Speak Up Week of Action campaign asks. These are:
1) Let’s ratify the Paris Climate Agreement as soon as possible.
2) Let’s transform the economy with an ambitious low-carbon investment plan.
3) Let’s be a world leader in environmental protection.
There is more information about these ‘asks’ on the MP Briefing – Speak Up! Week of Action (including low-carbon investment plan).
We were very happy to be able to congratulate Jason McCartney on joining 92 other MPs who have signed up to the ‘Pledge for the Environment’. This is a Pledge that MPs have made to do everything that they can to ensure that to UK is a leader in wildlife and nature protection, publishes low carbon investment plans and creates a richer countryside. (Read the Pledge and see the list of signatories.)
We had a positive and productive meeting. We asked Jason to write to the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy to congratulate him on progress on ratifying the Paris climate agreement and to ask him to publish a low carbon investment plan. Jason McCartney has agreed to write to us about this during the course of the week.
During the meeting, we also told him about the experiences of the Nature and Clean Energy Walk. We handed over a photographic record of the walk (Nature and Clean Energy Walk Photoboard A & Nature and Clean Energy Walk Photoboard B). Many thanks to by Amin from our network for his work on this.
All credit to Jason McCartney for signing up to the Pledge for the Environment. This builds on his support for earlier initiatives for the green economy:
- In June Jason McCartney supported other Conservative MPs in calling for the Fifth Carbon Budget to be accepted.
- Last year, he voted against fracking.
- In 2013 he voted in support of virtually carbon-free electricity by 2030 in the Energy Bill and supported the Energy Bill Revolution campaign to address fuel poverty.