- This winter millions of people will struggle to pay their energy bills. Cold homes are damaging the health of our most vulnerable citizens, including children and the elderly. Yet energy prices continue to go up – mostly due to the rising price of gas.
- We need new ways to use, produce and above all save energy – and this means we need a change in the law. Now is the time to discuss this, as Parliament is about to debate these critical issues.
- A coalition of national organisations is working with local groups to organize public meetings across the UK with local MPs and other national speakers.
Kirklees Campaign Against Climate Change is organising a signficant event as part of our ‘Energy Justice’ campaign: a public meeting titled ‘Energy We Can All Afford’ on the themes of the Energy bill, clean energy and fuel poverty This is part of a series of meetings which is happening around the country. You can find out more on www.energywecanallafford.org. Local MP Jason McCartney has been invited to attend the meeting.
Friday 11th January 2013
Slaithwaite Civic Hall (downstairs room) 7-9.30pm.
7.00-7.30pm Meet the MASTT Warmer Homes team, get advice and energy efficiency freebies (also available in the interval)
Speakers from 7.30pm
- Simon Bowens Friends of the Earth
- Matt Carmichael Leeds Fuel Poverty Action
- Claire Fauset No Dash for Gas
- Chris Herring Green Building Store
- Duncan Walpole Enviromental
Please download poster for the event. Please can you distribute/ forward this to your networks/ friends?
Can you help?
We’ve already put in quite a bit of time planning and preparing this meeting but how effective it is depends on us getting your help! Please could you contact us if you could help with any of the following things?
- Putting up posters in the Colne Valley, Holme Valley and Huddersfield
- Help with setting up and/or packing away on 11th Jan
- Welcoming and checking numbers on the door (6.50-7.40)
- Interval refreshments on 11th Jan- including washing up (2 people needed)
- Being photographer for the event.
If you’re able to help with publicity please contact us by this weekend – Friday 14th December. If you’re able to help us with the event itself please can you contact us by Friday 28th December. Thanks in advance!